SYiM (Southern Youth in Motion) is a campaign of North-South Partnership for Children that aims to connect youth from southern Ontario with youth in northern Ontario’s First Nation communities through art, music, videos, etc. We’ve been following SYiM since August 2012 and they’ve accomplished a lot in the past 7 months. Their work continues to impress and inspire us and we can’t wait to see what’s next for them in the coming year. We asked SYiM’s Youth Engagement Coordinator, Lauren Akbar, to contribute regular updates to ArtBridges so we can all follow the journey of this unique and much-needed initiative so check back regularly because we have a feeling that big things are in store for them!
- Cora-Rae Silk, ArtBridges
“Southern Youth in Motion (SYiM) Showcase on December 1, 2012 brought together youth from northern and southern Ontario to share their voices, songs, paintings, drawings, poetry, spoken word and much more – all to spread awareness of First Nations aspirations and challenges. Elder Pauline Shirt facilitated the day, she started by sharing her wisdom and cultural insights with us. She provided us with wonderful traditional teachings and led a smudging ceremony. She made us all see the beauty and goodness of Spirit at the gathering. For southern and northern youth, this was a way to connect to First Nation culture in a safe and welcoming space.
During the day we had several activities taking place:
1) The young people’s fantastic art performances and presentations, where they had the chance to take the stage (some for the first time) and share their art to the whole group. The youth performances sparked emotions, conversations and was the first step to bridging the gap between northern and southern Ontario.
2) Mural art with Michael Cywink, Artist, Muralist, Curator and Author from Manitoulin Island spent the day with us at the SYiM Showcase. He drew an outline of a mural and encouraged the youth to paint freely and feel the emotions from the poems, songs, etc. while they paint. Michael shared his experiences and stories with the youth and also created a positive environment for youth to see art through their own eyes.
3) We had a videographer, Kyle Montague and a photographer, Sherry Prenevost to capture the moments of the SYiM Showcase. They each created a video to share with others the wonderful and inspirational moments of the day, these videos will be launched with the SYiMzine: Showcase Edition.
SYiM is connecting youth from southern Ontario with youth in northern Ontario’s First Nation communities through art: music, videos, etc…
SYiM is hearing youth voices…
SYiM is sharing youth voices with others…
SYiM is spreading awareness of what life is like in northern Ontario…
SYiM is bringing people together, sharing cultures and becoming one…
SYiM is Southern Youth in Motion!
If you are interested in art, music, videos, etc. and would like to get involved with SYiM please contact Lauren Akbar at email@example.com or connect with SYiM on Facebook here.”
- Lauren Akbar, Youth Engagement Coordinator
SYiM, North South Partnership for Children
All photos courtesy of Sherry Prenevost
For ArtBridges/ToileDesArts sponsorship opportunities: Simon Constam, Sponsorship Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, 905-537-7227
Return to ArtBridges/ToileDesArts homepage